STUDENT UNIFORM & DRESS CODE POLICY
This policy supports Kaimuki Middle School's mission to provide a positive learning environment that meets the unique needs of adolescents and their supporters.
This policy will support students, teachers and families in the following ways: ensuring that the standards of excellence are upheld at KMS; promoting school pride and unity; improving student behavior and safety; helping students focus on work and increasing their academic achievement; identifying non-Kaimuki student visitors on campus; identifying KMS students on excursions and off-campus activities; reducing dress competitiveness, cliquishness and gang affiliation.
KMS School Uniform
- All students attending Kaimuki Middle School are required to wear the school uniform shirt effective the first day of school.
- Students are required to wear a clean school uniform shirt daily.
- Uniform shirts will be worn as designed. NO tying of uniform shirts.
- The form and design of these shirts shall not be changed or altered in any way. NO washed-out and/or bleached shirts allowed.
The following dress code also applies:
- All clothing and accessories must be free of messages relating to drugs, gangs, sex or profanity.
- All gang related fashion is prohibited.
- Only jackets and sweaters with open front top-to-bottom buttons or zippers may be worn. No pullovers, hoodies, etc., are to be worn on campus, with the exception of KMS hoodies (dark blue) sold exclusively by New Creations. (See attached photo) These outer garments are not to be worn in place of a uniform shirt. All uniform shirts must be worn/visible.
- Hoods of outer garments must not be worn during school.
- Stocking caps or head covers, wristbands, sweatbands, headbands and leg bands of any kind are not to be worn on campus.
- Hats, caps and visors may be worn outdoors only.
- Discrete and appropriately sized pants, shorts and skirts (NO SHORTER than mid-thigh) must be secure at the waist with no undergarments or posteriors showing.
Alternate Uniforms for Team, PE, Band, Orchestra and Extramural Sports
Alternate uniforms should be worn only in their respective activity. Students should be in school uniform when attending classes and while on campus (before, during or after school). Exceptions are if the activities occur at the start/middle/or end of the school day, in which the alternate uniform can be worn. If students are returning to the school campus and attending classes, students are to change into their school uniform. If there are no classes to attend, students may remain in their alternate uniform.
Any student not wearing a school uniform will be sent to the counselor’s office to borrow and sign out a school loaner uniform. Student will be expected to wear the loaner uniform for that day.
Uniform violation consequences:
1 Student counseled and warned.
2 Student assigned lunch detention.
3 Student assigned after school detention; parent notified.
4 Student assigned multiple detentions; parent notified.
5+ Referral to administrator, in-school-suspension assigned
Free Dress Days
There will be designated “Free Dress Days” that will be announced when students are not required to wear school uniform shirts. However, students are expected to wear appropriate clothing to school and any school-sponsored activities. The Dress Code will still apply.
The following additional rules apply to student attire on Free Dress Days:
- All tops shall not be low-cut and must cover the midsection of the body.
- All tops must have straps one inch or wider and be fitted under the arms; no strapless tops are allowed.
- All undergarments (including camisoles) shall not be visible nor show through clothing.
School Uniform Waiver
Parents wishing to exempt their student from the school uniform policy because of medical, religious or other serious concerns must submit a Uniform Waiver Form to the main office within five school days of student’s start date. Approval by administration will be done on a case-by-case basis and valid only for the current school year and must be renewed at the beginning of school each year. Forms are available in the main office.
School Uniform Assistance
Families needing assistance for purchasing school uniforms due to financial hardship may apply in person at the main office. Uniform assistance is for families with financial need. Financial eligibility will be determined based on Free/Reduced Lunch eligibility.